In Romanian: Musaca de vinete
- 5 medium eggplants
- 1¾ lb / 750 g ground sirloin
- 3 big onions
- 3 – 4 tablespoons lard
- 3 – 4 tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 – 3 tablespoons broth or water
- chopped parsley
- bread crumbs
- Cut the eggplants into finger thick slices, salt and let sit for at least 30 minutes to drain their excess liquid.
- Finely chop an onion, fry slightly with a tablespoon of lard, add the ground meat, pepper and salt and let fry lightly.
- Do not overfry.
- Squeeze each eggplant slice, dry with a cloth and then fry in lard on both sides.
- On the bottom of a pan greased with lard and covered with bread crumbs, arrange a layer of thinly sliced tomatoes, then a layer of eggplant, then a layer of ground meat mixture.
- Do this until all eggplants and all meat are used up.
- The last layer must be eggplants.
- Top with thin slices of tomatoes.
- Bake for half an hour.
- Then pour sour cream mixed with flour, a tablespoon of meat broth and a beaten egg over the moussaka.
- Spread some chopped parsley over this and bake a little longer until it starts to brown.
- Serve immediately, cut into pieces.