In Romanian: Mititei
- 2 lbs / 1 kg ground beef
- ½ lb / 250 g suet (raw beef or mutton fat, especially the hard fat found around the loins and kidneys).
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves
- some ground pepper
- juniper berries and caraway
- 2 – 3 tablespoons meat broth
- Grind the meat together with the suet.
- Add salt, spices, chopped garlic, meat broth and baking soda and mix everything with your hands for 15 minutes, adding two tablespoons of water a little at a time.
- Keep the bowl with this mixture on ice for 5 – 6 hours.
- Just before grilling, take tablespoons of the mixture and with wet hands, shape the rolls (they are approx. 2 – 3 inches long and 1 inch thick).
- Before placing on the grill, grease them with oil and during grilling baste them with a mixture of meat broth and oil.