In Romanian: Scrumbii in ulei
- 2 lbs / 1 kg herrings
- 3 – 4 lemons
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 – 6 juniper berries
- 2 teaspoons salt
- oil as needed
- Clean, wash the herrings, remove the heads and tails and cut in medium sized pieces.
- Salt and let sit for an hour.
- Place the fish pieces in a dry bowl, pour the lemon juice over them and let sit for another 20 – 30 minutes.
- Then start putting the fish pieces in a jar, layering fish pieces with a bay leaf, 2 – 3 juniper berries, some lemon juice and oil so as to cover each fish layer.
- Do this until all fish pieces are used up.
- Pour a two finger wide layer of oil, cover the jar with a plate and steam it for 25 – 30 minutes (counting from when the water starts boiling).
- Serve cold.
- This can be kept over the winter; in this case, tie the jar with cellophane first and then steam.
- You may prepare a sour soup for two out of the heads and tails.