In Romanian: Piftie de pasare
- 3 lbs / 1,5 kg chicken
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery root
- 1 parsnip
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 – 4 juniper berries
- gelatin as needed
- juice from one lemon
- Wash and clean the chicken.
- Place in a large pot and just cover with water. Boil over slow to medium heat. Remove the foam as it forms. Then add salt, vegetables, bay leaves and juniper berries.
- Cover the pot almost completely. Boil until the meat falls off the bones. Remove the bones and place the meat on the bottom of one or several deep plates.
- Chop the garlic, add some salt and mix with the meat broth. Strain and then pour on top of the meat in plates. Refrigerate so that it gels.
- To obtain a nice, clear jelly you have to boil slowly, with the pot almost covered.
- If, after boiling, the liquid is not sticky and gluey, add some gelatin.
- Divide the meat and place in a few deep plates.
- Garnish with some thin lemon slices.
- Strain the liquid and add on top of the meat.
- Place the plates in a cool place to gel.