Cook time:120 minutes
Lamb meatloaf is called Drob in Romanian.
- the organs from one lamb (spleen, liver, kidneys and heart)
- 5-7 spring onions
- 4 garlic chives
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 cup italian parsley
- 1 cup dill
- the caul fat from one lamb or bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 eggs, boiled hard (optional)
- Wash the organs well in cold water, cut them in 1.5 inch cubes, remove any gristles, blood clots etc. Put the pieces in 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar to remove any possible smell.
- Put the dices organs in cold water and boil them for 20-30 minutes. Remove the foam several times while they boil. Throw out the water. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool (until you can handle them).
- Ground the boiled organs together with all the other ingredients (except the eggs). Taste it; add salt and pepper as needed. Beat the eggs with a fork, add them to the mixture and blend them in. It should look like a thick paste. If still crumbly, add 2-3 spoonfuls of sour cream or another egg. If you don’t have the caul fat, grease the pan and coat with bread crumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Rinse the caul fat very well in cold water. If you think it has too much fat, remove some with a knife of with your hand. Lay it on the bottom and sides of the tray in one layer, leaving the edges hang outside the tray. Add the meat and cover with the rest of the caul fat. Bake for 50 minutes until it has a nice color. Let it cool down, then take it out of the tray. Keep refrigerated in plastic wrap.