In Romanian: Musaca de cartofi cu carne
- 1 lb / 500 g ground sirloin
- 1¾ lb / 750 g potatoes
- 2 onions
- 3 tablespoons lard
- chopped parsley and dill
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce or 3 – 4 tomatoes
- bread crumbs
- Peel the potatoes and cut into finger thick slices.
- Salt them and let sit for a few minutes.
- Then dry and fry on both sides.
- Grind the meat with two raw onions and then set in a pan to fry with a tablespoon of lard.
- Add salt and pepper and fry lightly (do not overfry).
- In a pan greased with lard and covered with bread crumbs, arrange a layer of potatoes and then a layer of the meat mixture.
- Do this until all potatoes and all meat are used up, taking care that the last layer is potatoes.
- Spread chopped parsley and dill between all layers.
- Pour a tablespoon of tomato sauce mixed with a cup of meat broth (or arrange tomato slices) over the potatoes.
- If using tomato slices do not use tomato sauce.
- Bake in the oven until the liquid is substantially reduced.