In Romanian: Prajitura rulata
- 8 oz / 250 g flour
- 2 yolks
- 4 oz / 125 g butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ oz / 15 g yeast
- Mix the yeast with ½ teaspoon sugar, salt, tepid milk and 1 tablespoon flour.
- Cover and leave in a warm space to rise.
- When the starter has risen, add sugar, tepid butter, yolks, vanilla and flour (a little at a time).
- Knead for 15 minutes. Place in a warm place to rise again.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling.
- Set the sugar to boil with the milk and vanilla.
- When the sugar has melted and the syrup starts to boil, add the ground walnuts.
- After a few minutes of boiling, remove from heat, add rum and let cool.
- When the dough has risen, roll into a sheet slightly thinner than a pencil.
- Spread filling over ¾ of the sheet.
- Roll the dough so that the part which is not spread with filling comes on top.
- Place into a long pan, cover and leave in a warm place to rise.
- When it has risen a little, wash with slightly sweetened water, sprinkle some granulated sugar on top and bake at slow heat to start with.
- When the cake has risen nicely, increase the heat.
- Cut when cold, just before serving, into finger thick slices.