In Romanian: Budinca de mere
- 5 – 6 tart apples
- 2 French baguettes (2 – 3 days old)
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 oz / 50 g raisins or sour cherries from preserves
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 oz / 100 g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- butter and bread crumbs for the mold
- Peel, halve, remove seeds and cut apples in finger thick slices.
- Cut the baguettes in finger thick slices too.
- Dunk each bread slice in a mixture of beaten eggs, milk, vanilla and salt.
- Grease a round mold or pan with butter and arrange soaked bread slices on the bottom and sides.
- On top of the bread slices, arrange apple slices.
- Then sprinkle with sugar and raisins or sour cherries from preserves.
- Then arrange another layer of soaked bread slices, then a layer of apple slices.
- Sprinkle with sugar and raisins or sour cherries from preserves.
- Continue until all apples are used up.
- The last layer must be bread slices.
- Pour the remaining egg-milk mixture on top.
- Dot with little pieces of butter.
- Bake until golden.
- Serve hot.