In Romanian: Sarmale cu varza acra
- 1¾ lb / 750 g ground meat (mixture of pork and beef is recommended)
- 4 large onions
- 2 tablespoons rice
- 1 bread slice
- 3 tablespoons lard
- chopped dill
- 1 soured cabbage
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- thyme (optional)
- Grind the meat with the crustless bread slice (previously soaked and squeezed dry) and a raw onion.
- Place in a bowl and mix with rice, dill, pepper, salt and finely chopped onion slightly fried in two tablespoons of lard.
- Mix everything well.
- Core the cabbage with a sharp thin knife and then blanch it with borscht.
- Then carefully remove the cabbage leaves, one by one, so that they do not tear.
- Cut larger leaves in 2 or 3 and then place a little meat in each cabbage piece and roll in.
- The smaller the rolls are, the tastier they are.
- Place a layer of rolls in the pan (take a deep one), then cover each layer of rolls with a layer of julienned sour cabbage and a little thyme.
- Do this layering until all the rolls are made.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of lard, water, paprika and tomato sauce, and let simmer on top of the range for 30 minutes.
- Then place in the oven so that the liquid is reduced.