In Romanian: Vinegreta II
- 1 small beet
- 3 – 4 big potatoes
- 1 carrot
- a handful of green peas or dry beans
- 1 pickle
- 1 onion
- 1 herring
- 4 oz / 100 g olives
- 1 tablespoon oil
- vinegar to taste
- salt if needed
- Keep the herring in warm water for 5 – 6 hours, with the belly split open.
- Remove all bones, cut into finger thick strips and add to the salad.
- Boil separately the beet, potatoes, carrot and peas or beans.
- Let cool.
- Thinly slice the potatoes, carrot and beet and then mix with the peas or beans, chopped onion, and rounds of hard boiled eggs and pickle.
- Add salt, oil and vinegar.
- Mix well and let stand at least an hour to mix the flavors.
- Arrange everything in the salad bowl and garnish with olives.